The Spirit of Broadway's Connecticut High School Musical Theater Awards Program announced this week that it has been accepted as one of 30 professional theater organizations in the U.S. to participate in the 4th annual presentation of the National High School Musical Theater Awards, also known as The Jimmy™ Awards.
As a part of the presentation, which will be held in New York City on June 25 at the Minskoff Theater, students will be invited before the ceremony to attend rehearsals, master classes, private coaching and interviews with theater professionals starting June 20.
“Being accepted into the national program for a fourth year is a good draw for schools to participate at the state level, however, for us at The Spirit of Broadway, this program is about shining a spotlight on the need for high quality music theater education opportunities in Connecticut’s high schools; and not just as extracurricular activities," Brett A. Bernardini, Spirit of Broadway Theater Founding Artistic Director/CEO, said in a statement.
The following 19 high schools (and their associated productions) are involved in the 4th Annual Connecticut High School Music Theater Awards:
- East Lyme High School (Legally Blonde)
- (Sweet Charity)
- Newton High School, Sweeney Todd (School Edition)
- , No, No, Nanette
- New Britain High School, Hairspray
- Jonathan Law High School (Milford), Hairspray
- St. Paul Catholic High School (Bristol) Legally Blonde
- , (Stamford) Beauty & The Beast
- , The Wiz
- Valley Regional High School, (Deep River) Titanic, the musical
- , (Stamford) The Drowsy Chaperone
- , My Favorite Year
- Waterbury Arts Magnet High School, Esperanze Rising / Singing In The Rain
- Guilford High School, Evita
- Plainfield High School, Annie
- , (Trumbull) Ragtime
- , Kiss Me Kate
- , (Danbury) Miss Saigon
- Amity High School, (Woodbridge) Legally Blonde