Ashes Blamed For House Fire On Harrison Avenue

Cigarette butts ignite fire in home on Harrison Avenue.

The New Canaan Fire Department quickly extinguished a small fire in a home on Harrison Avenue Friday afternoon.

According to officials, the fire was ignited by improperly disposed ashes in a bedroom of the home. The three occupants of the home escaped without injury.

"They were very lucky," said Jack Hennessey, assistant fire chief. "When we arrived there was heavy smoke throughout the house. Smoke is what kills people, not the heat. If this happened overnight, it might have been a lot worse."

The fire department responded to a call at approximately 12:32 p.m. about a fire in the ranch-style house at 137 Harrison Avenue. Hennessey said the home was not equipped with smoke detectors and there was minimal damage to items in the home.

Fire Marshal Fred Baker, who investigated the scene, indicated the fire was the result of carelessness.

"There were cigarette butts disposed of in a trash can," he said. "It seems to be that smoking-related and improperly discarded smoking materials continue to be a problem."

On January 15, improperly discarded smoking materials caused a fire on Fawn Lane that destroyed the home of Peggy and Dan Lee. No one was injured in that blaze.

Four Jacks February 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Let the Demolition Proceed! February 17, 2012 at 11:47 PM
You have to wonder?
Stan February 19, 2012 at 03:05 PM
Seriously, no smoke detectors? That's like driving a car without brakes. We have a Darwin Award finalist here.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »