Chirstmas has come and gone. Is there anyone you didn't have enough time to shop for — or perhaps someone who is difficult to find the perfect gift for?
A quick alternative to giving a gift is to donate to a charity in someone’s name. Here are ten charities and organizations based in Fairfield County to consider giving to in lieu of purchasing gifts:
- The Connecticut Food Bank, Fairfield Warehouse: This particular branch serves Fairfield County and conducts the Kids’ Backpack Program, providing lunch for weekends and school vacations for children enrolled in reduced lunch programs.
- Donations help the Humane Society to fund placement services, food, shelter, veterinary care, and to spay or neuter the animals.
- A Better Chance gives Fairfield County’s educationally disadvantaged minority students the opportunity for better education.
- Person-to-Person provides financial help for shelter, food, clothing, food, and scholarships for people and families who lack the necessities.
- The Carver Foundation provides a safe environment for children to flourish through social, recreational, and educational programs.
- Operation Hope provides services and food for the homeless in Fairfield County and runs a homeless shelter on Nichols Street in Fairfield.
- Kids Helping Kids, Stamford: Kids Helping Kids develops the leaders of the future by providing kids the opportunities to volunteer with less fortunate children in Fairfield County.
- The several Family Centers in Greenwich provide human services and educational opportunities to economically disadvantaged individuals and families living in lower Fairfield County.
- The New Canaan-based organization connects volunteers with worldwide health, environmental, and educational projects.
- Bridgeport Rescue Mission: The Bridgeport Rescue Mission helps to battle poverty and drug addiction throughout Fairfield County by providing food, shelter, and human services to the needy.
Those interested in donating their time to any of the above charities, or any other organizations in Fairfield County, should visit the website VolunteerSquare. VolunteerSquare allows users to register (for free) on the site and peruse volunteer opportunities based on their interests.